Lal Krishna Advani Bharat Ratna Senior BJP leader and former Deputy Prime Minister of the country Lal Krishna Advani will be awarded the highest civilian honor, Bharat Ratna. Born in Karachi, Pakistan, Advani has held the responsibility of National President of the BJP for a long time. Not only this, he also played an important role in the Ram Mandir movement. Let us tell you about some interesting facts related to his life…
Lal Krishna Advani, a senior BJP leader and former Deputy Prime Minister of the country, will receive the country’s highest civilian honor, the Bharat Ratna. PM Modi posted on X on receiving the Bharat Ratna. He stated, ‘This is an emotional occasion for me.’
Let us tell you that Lal Krishna Advani, born in Karachi, Pakistan, has held the responsibility of National President of the BJP for a long time. Not only this, he also played an important role in the Ram Mandir movement. Let us tell you about some interesting facts related to his life…
The journey from Karachi to India
Lal Krishna Advani was born on 8 November 1927 in Sindh province (Pakistan). He studied at St. Patrick’s School, in Karachi. In 1942, he joined Gidumal National College during the Quit India Movement. After this, he worked as a teacher at Model High School, Karachi in 1944.
When Advani was just 14 years old, he gave his life for his nation. However, following the partition of the country in 1947, Advani’s family was forced to abandon their house and relocate to India. He graduated from Government Law College in Mumbai. During this time, he stayed associated with the Sangh. Lal Krishna Advani was born to Kishan Chand Advani and married Kamala Advani on February 25, 1965. Let us tell you that they have two children named Pratibha and Jayant.
Born: 8 November 1927 (Sindh Province, Pakistan)
Father’s Name: Kishan Chand Advani
Mother Name: Giani Devi Advani
Political Party: BJP
Honor- Bharat Ratna
Advani’s political career
- 1942- Joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
- After independence, Advani’s entry into politics was through municipal elections.
- In 1957, Atal Bihari shifted to Delhi to help Vajpayee.
- In 1958-63, he held the post of Secretary in Delhi Pradesh Jan Sangh.
- Reached Rajya Sabha for the first time in April 1970.
- In December 1972, Lal Krishna Advani was appointed President of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
- He was arrested from Bengaluru on June 26, 1975, during the Emergency.
- After the emergency was lifted, he was the Minister of Information and Broadcasting from March 1977 to July 1979.
- Since the establishment of the BJP in 1980, he was the General Secretary of the party till 1986.
- In the year 1986, Lal Krishna Advani became the national president of BJP.
- On March 3, 1988, he was again given the responsibility of party president.
- In the 1991 general elections, he contested the Lok Sabha elections from Gandhi Nagar’s seat of Gujarat and won.
- He was the Home Minister in the government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee formed in 1996. This government fell after just 13 days
- From October 1999 to May 2004, he held the responsibility of Home Minister.
- He was the former Deputy Prime Minister of the country from June 2002 to May 2004.
- Advani was a member of Rajya Sabha four times and Lok Sabha six times.
- Advani remained the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha from 2004 to 2009.
- On 10 December 2007, the BJP Parliamentary Board formally announced Lal Krishna Advani as its Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2009 general elections.
- After the reformation of the UPA government, Sushma Swaraj was made the Leader of the Opposition in place of Advani in the 15th Lok Sabha.
Played an important role in the Ram Mandir movement
In the early 1980s, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad started a movement to build a temple at the site of Ram Janmabhoomi in Ayodhya. BJP’s founding member Lal Krishna Advani became the face of the Ram Mandir movement. This yatra was started in 1990 from Somnath to Ayodhya. Advani was arrested midway through the journey. Many people were accused after the demolition of Babri Masjid in 1992. Lal Krishna Advani’s name was also there among them. Later the court acquitted him. Apart from this, he took out the Swarna Jayanti Rath Yatra in 1997, celebrating the Golden Jubilee of India’s Independence.
This honor was bestowed upon former Prime Minister Atal
Let us inform you that Lal Krishna Advani, the BJP’s second most powerful leader, will be honored with the Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian award. Previously, previous Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee received the Bharat Ratna award. Advani won the Padma Vibhushan in 2015.