A 64-year-old woman from Juhu, Mumbai has become a victim of cyber fraud. The woman’s name is Geeta Shenoy. Geeta was booking flight tickets to Dubai from a site called Skyscanner. The woman called the phone number provided on the site, after which the woman was asked to download the Any Desk app on her phone.
Cyber scams can happen to anyone in any manner. The latest evidence of this is an incident in Mumbai. A man from Mumbai has found it very expensive to book a flight ticket to Dubai. According to the report, the man was booking tickets online through a popular website when he fell victim to cyber fraud and withdrew Rs 4.4 lakh from his bank account.
According to the report, a 64-year-old woman from Juhu, Mumbai has been a victim of cyber fraud. The woman’s name is Geeta Shenoy. Geeta was booking flight tickets to Dubai from a site called Skyscanner. The woman called the phone number provided on the site, after which the woman was asked to download the Any Desk app on her phone.
The woman trusted the man’s words and downloaded the Anydesk app on her phone, as the number was given on the booking site itself. After downloading the app, the woman told the man the code, after which the man took control of the woman’s phone and withdrew Rs 4.4 lakh from her bank account. The woman complained to the police soon after the incident. The matter is being investigated but this incident is a lesson for everyone. You can also be a victim of this type of fraud.
How to avoid online banking fraud
- Fake information: Usually, cyber thugs create a fake business ID in the name of a famous site and list it on Google. There they give their mobile number, and email. Beware of this.
- Check contact details: Be sure to check the number given on Google with any site. Find out from two or three sources whether the site you are on is real or fake. If someone calls or messages you, then there is a 100% chance of fraud.
- Remote Access App: Do not download remote-controlled mobile apps on your phone or computer under any circumstances. If someone asks to do so, refuse them immediately to complain about it.
- Do not share details: Do not share information like your phone number, e-mail ID, address, name, bank account number, and OTP to anyone.
- Alert the bank: Inform the bank immediately after any such incident. Apart from this, also complain to the cyber police.