Vibrio vulnificus In California, a woman had to have her hands and legs amputated after eating tilapia contaminated with a bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus.
Vibrio vulnificus is a type of bacteria that can cause deadly infections. It enters the body by eating raw or undercooked seafood. Let us know everything you need to know about this flesh-eating bacteria.
*Recently a shocking case has come to light from California.
*Here, after eating tilapia fish, a woman’s hands and legs had to be amputated.
*Let us know about the bacteria that caused this condition of the woman.
Vibrio vulnificus: Recently a shocking case has come to light from California. Here, eating fish became so expensive for a woman that she had to lose both her arms and legs. Have you ever thought that something like this can happen due to eating contaminated food? Hardly anyone would have thought this, but this case that came to light from California is beyond imagination.
Actually, what happened was that a 40-year-old Laura Barajas from California bought a Tilapia fish from a local market, which was infected with a deadly flesh-eating bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus. After eating this contaminated fish, the infection spread in the woman’s body, due to which both her hands and legs were amputated. Let us know what is this deadly bacteria and all the important things related to it-
What is Vibrio vulnificus?
According to the Cleveland Clinic, Vibrio vulnificus is a deadly bacteria that can enter your body when you eat raw or undercooked seafood. It can also infect open wounds. This bacteria causes a severe form of vibriosis, which can rapidly lead to sepsis, shock, and large, spreading blisters or blisters that destroy tissue.
How is Vibrio vulnificus spread?
Vibrio vulnificus bacteria cause the most severe forms of vibriosis. It is spread by eating raw shellfish (usually oysters). Apart from this, it can also enter the body by coming in contact with a wound or any injury in the sea or salty water.
Symptoms of Vibrio vulnificus
*redness in the skin
Diagnosis and treatment
After this bacteria enters the body, fever, diarrhea, and rash are the first symptoms of this infection. In such a situation, the correct diagnosis can be made only after a blood, tissue, mucus, or stool test.
Protection against Vibrio vulnificus
*The best way to avoid Vibrio vulnificus is to never eat undercooked seafood.
*Before eating seafood, ensure that it is thoroughly boiled and cooked.
*Keep cooked and uncooked seafood separately rather than together.
*Always wash your hands thoroughly after cooking seafood such as fish.
*If you have any wounds or scratches, stay away from sea or salt water.
The tips and recommendations given in the article are just meant for general informational purposes and should not be construed as expert medical advice. Always consult your doctor if you have any queries or concerns.