WhatsApp has introduced the WhatsApp Channels feature in India, with the intention to expand it to more than 150 countries. This feature enables users to subscribe to receive exclusive updates from various entities, such as organizations, sports teams, artists, and influential figures.
As per the company’s statement, WhatsApp Channels serve as a one-way broadcast tool integrated into the app.
WhatsApp Channels come equipped with notable features, including:
- Enhanced Directory: Users can easily discover channels filtered by their country, as well as explore popular, active, and new channels.
- Reactions: Users have the ability to express feedback using emojis and see an aggregate count of reactions, although the specific emoji chosen by an individual won’t be visible to their followers
- Regarding forwarding, when you share an update with chats or groups, it will include a link that directs people to the channel, allowing them to access channel details and follow it.It’s important to note that WhatsApp Channels is currently in the process of being rolled out and may not be available to all users. For those who do have access, Meta-owned WhatsApp is introducing new features, although certain functionalities like channel creation may not be accessible to everyone at this stage.
WhatsApp recommends that you can also access Channels through the WhatsApp Business app. To utilize this new feature, ensure that your WhatsApp Business app is updated to the latest version.
Certainly, here’s an alternative method to create a Channel on WhatsApp:
1. Open the WhatsApp app on your phone.
2. Navigate to the Updates tab.
3. Tap the plus icon (+) and select “New channel.”
4. Follow the onscreen prompts by tapping ‘Get started.’
5. Provide a channel name to complete the setup.
6. Customize your channel by adding a description and an icon if you wish.
7. After making your adjustments, tap ‘Create channel.’
8. Your channel will be ready to use once you’ve completed these steps.
Part2: Creating WhatsApp Channels: A Step-by-Step Guide and Key Features
Step 1: Understand WhatsApp Business
Before creating WhatsApp Channels, make sure you have a WhatsApp Business account. If not, download the WhatsApp Business app and set up your business profile.
Step 2: Verify Your Business
To create WhatsApp Channels, verify your business with WhatsApp. This adds credibility to your account.
Step 3: Choose a WhatsApp API Provider
Select a WhatsApp Business API provider to access WhatsApp Channels. Popular choices include Twilio, Nexmo, and Vonage.
Step 4: Get Approval
Contact your chosen API provider for approval. You may need to provide business details and use cases.
Step 5: Set Up WhatsApp Channels
Once approved, your provider will guide you through setting up WhatsApp Channels. They’ll provide an API key for integration.
Key Features of WhatsApp Channels:
1. Two-Way Communication: Engage in real-time conversations with customers.
2. Broadcast Lists: Send messages to multiple customers at once.
3. Templates: Create predefined message templates for common inquiries.
4. Media Sharing: Share images, videos, documents, and audio messages.
5. Labels: Organize and categorize conversations for easy management.
6. Analytics: Access insights on message delivery and customer engagement.
7. Business Profile: Customize your profile with business information.
8. Automated Responses: Set up automated replies for frequently asked questions.
9. Message Scheduling: Schedule messages for specific times or dates.
10. Security: WhatsApp Channels prioritize user privacy and data encryption.
It’s crucial to stay updated with the latest WhatsApp policies and features, as the platform may evolve over time for businesses.