In June this year, Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a prominent Khalistani leader of Canada, was shot dead. Since then, the rift between Canada and India has been increasing.
Canada expelled a top Indian diplomat over the investigation into the murder of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar. The Canadian government claims that Indian diplomats interfered with the murder inquiry, even though a Canadian agency was assigned to look into the matter. The distance between Canada and India has widened as a result. The assassination of Nijjar may have been the result of an Indian government conspiracy, according to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He emphasised that it is unacceptable for another country to be involved in the killing of a Canadian person on Canadian territory.
It is important to know this
In June this year, Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a prominent Khalistani leader of Canada, was shot dead.
Two unidentified assailants attacked Nijjar in Surrey, Canada, close to the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara. He perished in the assault.
Indian agency NIA had declared Nijjar a fugitive.
Now the question arises that who is Hardeep Singh Nijjar, due to which the rift between the two countries is increasing.
1. Hardeep Singh Nijjar was a resident of Bharsingh Pura village of Jalandhar. He moved to Canada in 1996, where he also reportedly worked as a plumber. However, in the last few years, his wealth saw a sudden increase due to his involvement in pro-Khalistan activities. It is said that Nijjar, associated with the extremist organization Sikh for Justice (SFJ), took the number-2 position after Gurpatwant Singh Pannun.
2. Gradually he started being recognized as a leader in the Sikh community of Canada. After this, he was elected unopposed as the head of Guru Nanak Gurudwara in Surrey city of British Columbia. After this he became famous as a big Sikh leader in Canada. At the behest of Pakistani intelligence agency ISI, he started carrying out anti-India activities in Canada. He had also planned attacks on several Hindu temples in Canada.
3. Nijjar’s involvement in terrorism began with his membership in the Babbar Khalsa International led by Jagtar Singh Tara. Subsequently, he founded his own group, Khalistan Tiger Force (KTF).
4. He played an important role in identifying Khalistani in India. For this he connected people, provided training and helped in funding.
5. More than 10 FIRs are registered against him regarding all these matters.
6. In 2014, Nijjar conspired to assassinate spiritual leader Baba Bhaniyara. At the same time, in 2015, he organized a training camp in Canada to instruct Mandeep Singh Dhaliwal, who was later sent to Punjab with the mission to target Shiv Sena leaders. Mandeep was arrested in June 2016.
7. It is said that Khalistan Commando Force leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar had also visited Pakistan in 2013-14. The entire expense of this trip was borne by Pakistani intelligence agency ISI. During this time, Nijjar met Jagtar Singh Tara, a Pakistani terrorist hiding in Pakistan. Tara was arrested from Thailand in 2015.
8. Hardeep Singh Nijjar also set up a training camp for Khalistani militants in Missigen Hills, British Columbia in December 2015. During this period, pro-Khalistan militants were also given training in using small arms.
9. In November 2020, Nijjar parted ways with fellow gangster Arsh Dalla, who was living abroad. Together they murdered Manohar Lal, a follower of Dera Sacha Sauda.