October is celebrated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. During this time, efforts are made to spread awareness among people about all the things related to breast cancer. It is important to detect breast cancer early. To make people aware about this, Ram Manohar Lohia’s doctors ran a campaign. Know what is that campaign and how to detect breast cancer.
The month of October is celebrated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Throughout this month an effort is made to spread awareness about breast cancer. Breast cancer is a fatal disease, detection of which at an early stage increases the chances of survival. To increase awareness among people about this, some doctors of Ram Manohar Lohia started a campaign. Let us know what that campaign was and how you can detect breast cancer.
This campaign was run like this…
Breast Cancer As can be understood from the name, cancer cells start growing in the breast and they take the form of tumors. If not treated on time, it can spread from the breast to other parts of the body. It is the second most common cancer in women. Breast cancer not detected on time can be fatal. Therefore, it is very important to know the symptoms and risk factors of breast cancer. However there is still a lack of awareness among people about a serious disease like breast cancer.
Therefore, some doctors under the leadership of Dr. Shibani Mehra, head of the radiodiagnosis department of Ram Manohar Lohia, launched a campaign in the Sarojini Nagar area to spread awareness about breast cancer. During this campaign, doctors roamed around in the streets raising slogans and trying to inform people about breast cancer through different posters.
Doctors used street drama to explain how to detect breast cancer in its early stages and its importance. This campaign was so well coordinated that women came out of their homes to join the campaign. To prevent breast cancer at its initial stage, how to self-examine at home was also taught.
How to examine breasts?
- Stand in front of the mirror after taking off your clothes and bra and try to find out if there is any change in the size or shape of your breasts.
- Raise your hands and check your breasts again. Try to notice changes in the size and shape of your breasts.
Check your left breast by pressing it with three fingers of your right hand. Try to detect any lumps or lump-like shapes.
- Press your breast from all sides and find out if there is any lump or not. First, check by pressing lightly with the pads of your fingers. Gradually increase the pressure and start pressing and examine your breasts.
- After your breasts, also check around your armpits to see if there are any lumps there. After the breasts, press your nipples to see if any fluid is coming out.
- After this, check the right breast with your left hand. This test does not take much time to perform and you can do it at any time of the day. If you feel something like a lump or lump, immediately consult your doctor and get it checked.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
*lumps in the breasts or armpits
*Change in breast shape
*Fluid discharge from the nipple
*Changes in the skin of the breasts
*darkening of nipple color
*Pain in or around the breasts
With the help of these symptoms, you can detect breast cancer in its early stages. This can help in its treatment and can also help in preventing the disease before it becomes more serious. As Dr. Shibani said, this disease can be defeated only when it is detected in the beginning.